Virtual Zen

Zen mind, beginner's mind... My life as a beginning Zen student, and everything else that falls away...

1.15.2004

Another odd one...

Well, I've gone and done it this time. I've managed to somehow become the thing I absolutely hate. I am now a telemarketer. Let me start at the beginning.... I got a call from Anne, one of my agents from before I went to Australia, this morning. While we had a great chat and she's confident she'll be able to find me work fairly quickly - I'm desperate for funds. So, rather than actually whore myself out (still an option under consideration) I'm thinking - yep, time to cruise those classifieds for something that pays quick. I sent off my application for my pension funds from Australia, that kind of thing first - but then I started to get my ass in gear. Found this one place that is just like 2 blocks from where I live (which would be fine on a nice day, but considering the freakin' blizzard that seems to have hit eez no so close now mang) and they say in the ad, Interview Today, Start Tomorrow! Hey, methinks this is good. Went for the 4pm cattle call interview where I had about 30 seconds to explain what I did in my last job. Well, that was the first interview. Huh. Asked me back for another interview at 5pm. Ok. Didn't really say what it was for, so I thought, what the hell, I gots nuffink betta to do. 5pm I now watch the video they set up on the matter of "How to Sell the Globe and Mail by subscription". Oh. My. Gawd. I can't believe that I'm doing this. Sean (the kinda spunky manager doing the interviews) asks us to read a section of the script that he's given us. (Shades of hearing the Telstra people doing the same spiel day in and day out at Dun & Bradstreet comes shattering through my mind as I'm reading this moronic script, "Good evening, my name is _________ ringing from The Globe and Mail Newspaper. Is this the __________residence? Great! Have you had a chance to read the Globe and Mail recently? " barf.) The only thing good about it is Sean - tres cute. Anyway, got through that one - and I'm thinking to myself - I'm doing this for HOW much (little) money? Sat down at the phones and did a little bit of phone work before they come over and ask me if I'm ok with it - and when did I want to start? Um, I say - Tonight? they ask - Ok, I say. What the hell just happened? Damn good thing I get paid for this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home